Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Women of Christ, Women of Influence.

I was asked, along with several other women, to contribute photos for a women's fireside at our church.
  
(I am standing beside THE most Christ-like woman on the planet.  Dear friend and fellow photographer, Kellie.)

Our assignment left room for much personal interpretation: take five photos that, to me, represented "Women of Christ, Women of Influence."  We had roughly three months to prepare before our photos were enlarged and displayed for the evening.  


Our Guest Speaker was Heidi Swinton, author of President Thomas S. Monson's biography, To The Rescue.  I wanted so badly for my work to be as high-caliber as I knew this woman's remarks would be.  Having heard her before, I didn't want to disappoint:).


I'd never taken pictures for anyone but myself.  Having a special assignment challenged me in a new way.  I was excited.

(Well, semi-excited.  I had hoped to have already purchased my much-coveted Canon 60D, but alas, it wasn't in the cards.  I was a little self-conscious with my little megazoom Canon Powershot sx130is.  I wasn't sure if my pictures would look high-quality enough to be blown up to 11x14.  I crossed my fingers.  I did my best.  And, well, that's all I could do.  It was humbling.)


I had such a wonderful experience working with women I love dearly, who willingly gave their time to help me by offering their hands and pregnant bellies:).  Each of these women have taught me, loved me.  

They are women of Christ.  
They are women of influence.  
I've witnessed their goodness, firsthand.

I chose to illustrate five verbs with my photos: serve, create, worship, nurture, seek.  Although a woman of influence is not identified solely by these qualities, they certainly are part of being such a woman.  They facilitate or enable her ability to influence.

The evening was grand.  There is something to be said about a meeting full of women, capable women, brought together in a spirit of love.  I felt connected to each of them.  I felt empowered.  I felt surrounded by friends.  And I left that meeting uplifted as could be.  No "I'm not good enough" or "I'm not doing enough."  Just, "I am enough.  Through Christ, He makes me enough.  He makes my camera enough:).  I have something unique to offer the world.  And that's good enough for me."

Here they are in all their (humble) glory:




8 comments:

Honey said...

They're gorgeous! What a neat experience. (And I recognize some of those hands.) :)

Turtle1424 said...

Great job , I love them.

Jilene said...

Love them all! That's such a neat activity. Great job. :)

McKay & Dani said...

AGREED!!!

Katie The Lady said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like it was an amazing night!

jenifer said...

great pictures! what a neat activity!

Marilou said...

I love them! Great job.

belliesue said...

What a fun project to work on together! You are amazing! I think your pictures turned out absolutely beautiful. I just wanted to stay a little longer and soak in everyone's different perspectives and thoughts. Thanks for lifting me up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...