Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thoreau-ness


 (This bird-feeder brought to you by Lincoln.  Clever little fella.)

(I wish, wish, wish dandelions weren't considered weeds.)

I've learned something about myself.

It took awhile to experience the "ah-ha" because--until now--we've always lived in neighborhoods.  Now we're in the "wilds."  Hah, as wild as a little country outskirt can be!  I've lived in this home for two years.  I've had two years to learn about my country-self.  I like what I've become--or maybe, it's who I've always been but had yet to discover.

I have a personal relationship with most of my trees.  I know where the sun rises and sets in each season and I have my favorite times of day when the sun shines just so.  I've learned how my plants change, seen how they grow.  I experience all these phenominal naturey smells that are fresh and wholesome and pure.  I love the sound of crunching gravel when I walk down the sides of my country roads and the water as it rushes through canals and irrigation ditches.  I notice the crop-growth, little by little.  And the birds, ah, the birds are everywhere making the sweetest, happiest sounds.

I have inklings of a naturalist in me . . . and Ben, well, not so much.  He thinks I'm looney as I go to my lofty places with nature.  Maybe he's jealous of this love affair, thinks I'm becoming a tree-hugger?  I bet that's it.  And . . . maybe I am . . . a little bit.  But, come on, I'm not 100% granola.  I DO love to chop a tree here and there:).

I hope you are enjoying your little piece of this beautiful world as much as I'm enjoying mine.  

2 comments:

Logan and Tanya said...

You make me smile, Lanette!

Rebekah said...

love it
get it
want to wax poetic in it, too
seriously

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...