Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Principal for a day.

William was the lucky kid chosen to be "Principal for a Day" at school.

I think I heard, "This is going to be the best day of my life," at least fifty times the week before the actual day.  I was so excited for him 1) because he's quiet (everywhere but at home) and therefore, is often overlooked, and 2) because he got to do something that no other kid in our family has done before.  He felt special.

6 am, Friday morning, I awoke to the gentle tapping of a nine-year-old finger on my arm.  William.  Bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, smartly dressed in his suit, and ready to go.  

He handled his duties with care.  He took his job seriously.  As uncomfortable as he was "on display," he wasn't goofy in his discomfort.  It was adorable.

All day long he shadowed the principal, ran errands for her, helped with an assembly, observed classrooms, helped with bus/recess/lunch duties, morning announcements, and after school I received a recorded message about the Halloween Carnival that night voiced by none other than William!  I listened to the message four times, and even made Annie and Lincoln listen to it, too.

We had one happy kid.  This was a day he'll never forget.

(I had many teachers/parents at the carnival that night say how handsome he looked and how well he performed his job that day.  I couldn't wait to catch him and share the compliment, WHICH knowingly, would embarrass him to no end, WHICH makes it even more fun to do.)

I'm so grateful for a wonderful school that provides opportunities for our kids to grow and shine.  We have felt so blessed living in this area.  I don't think my kids realize how good they have it.  Hopefully they will one day.

2 comments:

Honey said...

He does look handsome. :) Go William!

Amy said...

Well I'll be darned! I had no idea I knew that little voice on the phone that was announcing the Halloween carnival! It was very cute indeed!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...