Thursday, September 6, 2012

My own Walden.

Escaping to the mountains has a draw all its own.  Higher elevations become contagious and elevate the soul.  Like you're above the issues you were trudging through down below.  There's a fresh start ahead.
That's how I felt up there, in the mountains.

My every-day life is full.  There's a pressing need to stay on top of things so I don't get caught in the undertow of our bustling day-to-days.

Pulling up to the cabin shifts the focus.  Everything slows down.  I don't have to make a plan to survive my day.  I take things as they come.  I love that!  We get by with simple meals and few clothes.

I realize that life can't always be this way.  So much of my personal growth comes from a life surrounded by others, interacting with others, playing a role with the rest of humanity.  Not seclusion.  Seclusion has its place, to be sure, but it's more of a respite.
I feel like I'm channeling a little Thoreau here,

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach..."

It's true.  When I live simply, I focus more on essentials.  Life is uncluttered because I let go of things I can't control, and take hold of the things in front of me.  My husband, my children, my health, my relationship with God.  This rejuvenates and helps me "find my center," so to speak.  Then I'm ready to face the world again.

We all need a place like that.  Our own figurative Walden, don't you think?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...