Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Monopoly.


It's begun.

I have oodles of memories--days-long memories--filled with Monopoly, Risk, and The Farming Game.  These memories wouldn't be complete without my three older brothers.  Of course, I never won.  Ever. 

I think it was a good thing that I learned to lose when I was young.  To this day I still have to hold my tongue when I lose.  I stew with myself about how I could've played differently.  Ridiculous, I know.  Grow up already, Lanette.


The boys have discovered Monopoly.  Playing-by-the-rules Monopoly.  I sat in my comfy chair reading Cold Sassy Tree while they played, knowing that sooner of later they'd need a referee.  And they did

I'm amazed they lasted as long as they did.  We have yet to finish an entire game before someone gets tired of paying rent or going to jail and quits.  We made it to the Hotel stage.  That's pretty good in my opinion.

(Lincoln's utter-cuteness when he collected $100.)
Monopoly teaches great skills, life skills, money skills.  I didn't care about all that as a kid.  As a parent it's so cool to see your kids "get it."


I'm sure we'll have years of Monopoly to come: 
Years of seeing that board grace my coffee table. 
Years of envy towards the owner of Boardwalk and Park Place. 
(And don't forget the bragging rights of owning ALL 4 railroads.) 
Years of correcting the pronunciation of Reading Railroad (REDding, not READing). 
Years of yearning to land on Free Parking.
Years of fun mixed with tears (when I lose).    

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...