Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lazy Days.



I have mixed feelings about lazy-day weekends.  I'm a doer [unless I'm reading a great book] and there's nothing that HAS to be done today.  I should be grateful, shouldn't I? 

I would be grateful except for the fact that, unfortunately, my mind starts thinking about all the clever ways I could spend our money on things we don't really need.  I'm a dreamer at heart, especially when it comes to beautiful things, which is both a blessing and a curse.

However, all I have to do is look at the trail of powdered sugar along my kitchen floor and I'm back to reality.  My children are my greatest blessing and my greatest [wanted] trial.  Hear me out.  I think there's a connection between blessings and trials.  The things that become most important to us, that build strong character, that evolve into blessings, are the things we struggle through day in and day out because we know they're important [and, in the case of my kids, because I love them to death].  God is merciful enough to give us little rays of hope every day to keep us going.  "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken . . ." (Psalms 37:25). 

My trial isn't in loving my children, it's in forgetting myself.  It's late nights with sick kids, teaching how to clean a toilet, making nutritious meals 3x a day, teaching consistently how to forgive, to serve, to love eachother, to change undies EVERY DAY, pointing them to Christ.  And sometimes I just feel tired.  But it's all about giving my time--something that is precious to me, and something they need most.  I wish I was saintly at heart.  Gosh, that would make my life easier.  But I'm not, so, I've got my work cut out for me.

Eventhough Mother Teresa and I have few things in common, God can work through me, too.  That's what I cling to.  That's what keeps me smiling, that's what brings the joy. 

Happy Lazy Saturday.  Hope it's a great one!

1 comment:

Poulsen Family said...

This is probably my all time favorite post you have ever done.

You put into words PERFECTLY, EXACTLY, and PRECISELY what I feel! Seriously I could steal your post and put it on my blog!


Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...