Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Party 2010


First of all, let me say that I fully acknowledge the white trash-ness of my latest endeavor.  I'm not a professional decorater, interior designer.  I'm not bound by any rules, techniques.  I just do it and let the chips fall, so to speak. 


What am I talking about?  Well, I have long been embarassed by my hideous front door.  Paint chipping, drafty, scratched, door knob replaced one too many times, holes (that leak cold air) from previous hardware,  and yes, stray pieces of tape that won't come off, etc.  Bascially, just an old door. 


How could I greet our guests tonight with a n-a-s-t-y door like that?  I wanted the whole experience, from the moment they stepped out of their car to the moment they left our driveway to be magical.  Well, as magical as it can be with friends who really know me, my quirks, not so far removed from the reality of being my friend.  Anyway, I couldn't have a door that's part hunter green, part gray from the metal door beneath.  Seriously, these chipped areas were shaped like countries, big countries (or big states).  I specifically remember thinking one looked a lot like Texas.

In desperation, with the party clock ticking, I do the only thing I can besides just leaving it and swallowing my pride.  I go to the top shelf of my storage room and pull out the .99 craft paint from walmart.  Please have hunter green and white, please, please, please.  And I did!  I grabbed my sponge brush, paper plate, and high quality (ahem) paints and got to work.  I painted that front door and trim, not even sanding or anything.  I didn't have time.  I hoped that the romantic lighting of our christmas lights would mask any clash in color or texture.  I just needed to get through tonight and then I didn't care if it looked white trash after that!  I think we pulled it off (Annie is a tremendous supporter and photographer).  I didn't catch anyone staring for long amounts of time at my Texas or Brazil that night.


The party was fantastic.  Great food.  Beautiful food.  Wonderful ambience.  Awesome company (11 couples).  Good times all the way around.  I'm so grateful to have good friends who aren't afraid to let their hair down and be silly.  We really had a great time.  Such a great time, in fact, that I didn't take ANY pictures.  I only got a picture of the aftermath when several couples had already left and Mom and Dad brought the kids home to scarf down the remains of our party.  Vultures, seriously.


Ben is a saint for indulging me when it comes to parties.  I love to throw a party.  I love to create a party.  I tell Ben my vision and he makes it happen.  He always gives me a 200% effort when I'd really be content with 100%.  I can't thank him enough (kiss, kiss). 

One party down.  Valentine's Day, here we come!

3 comments:

Marilou said...

(sigh) wish we could have been there.

Poulsen Family said...

Ah, all my old wardies . . . makes me miss Burton :(

hillary said...

I love reading your blog, Lanette, and wish I could come to one of your parties. I know I'd have fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...