Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween and Billy Ocean . . .

(Did I mention that I LOVE having a little girl . . . minus the price tag?)

I can't begin to explain how cool it is when my kids start a sentence with,
"Prepare to be amazed . . . ."
And I wait . . . to be amazed. 
In this case it was Brigham playing Operation after dinner, wanting me to listen to the sound of silence as he extricated the "charlie horse."
It buzzed.
And I said jokingly, "Prepare to be amazed . . . ."
And he laughed.

After dinner,
Brigham was unloading the dishwasher,
William and I were washing the dishes,
Lincoln brought the radio into the kitchen and serenaded us with Billy Ocean's Carribean Queen.
It was cute.  Really. 
Please tell me this song is in your head now,
because it's STILL in mine three hours later! 
Have I ever told you I love 80's music? 
For nostalgic purposes only . . . well, and dancing . . . not that I can dance.
It was a pretty weird time for music in my opinion.

Such are the moments when Ben works nights.  Our nights are a little more relaxed.  Our dinners a little more simple.  Our bedtimes a little less rushed.  More stories and songs.  The kids take turns falling asleep in my bed.  I hate sleeping alone.  Well, I hate anyone touching me while sleeping, but I like to know that someone's close by.
I'm constantly throwing away candy that's left on end tables, couches, rugs, beds, etc.  Unopened candy.  They don't miss it.  Neither do I.  We had a great Halloween.  It was probably just like yours.  Trunk or Treat on Saturday.  Going to Grandma's house, trick or treating around her neighborhood, and watching a football game.  I love celebrating . . . anything.  It's fun to step out of the ordinary life.

However, I learned a new twist on Halloween and I LOVE IT!  I can't wait to incorporate these ideas in my home next year.  My mom's neighbor goes all out for Halloween.  All out.  But here's the cool part.  She said to me that Halloween, to her, is like an Easter carnival (I'm thinking south american-ish carnivals, i.e. Day of the Dead, etc.).  Easter is the sacred reminder of Christ's victory over death, Halloween is a twisted or carnival-ish celebration of the same thing.  All around her house she had little black/orange wooden boards with scriptures on them.  Like, "O death, where is thy sting?  O grave, where is they victory?" (1 Cor. 15:55).  Or, "The wages of sin is death" (Rom. 6:23).  All Halloween-y in that they had to do with death or the overcoming of it.  I'm going to ask if I can take some pictures to post.  You'll be amazed.

Well, I'm off to bed.  I've gotta be all rested up for voting tommorow!  Hope you all make it to the polls!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...