Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Uninvited Guest

Every night, a caregiver comes to help my Aunt (with MS) prepare for bed. Annie was beside herself. She wanted to help. She lay by that door for at least 15 minutes, screaming, "unnlloocckkk, unlock the door, unnllooccckk!" She was so loud for so long, I was impressed by her stamina! What a sight...her little face squished against the bottom of the door, yelling, pleading! As desperate as she sounded, it was quite funny.

Living here has given my family wonderful opportunities that we wouldn't have otherwise. My children have learned not be to uncomfortable around someone with a disability. More than that, they've learned to help another, to think of someone else's needs before their own. If my Aunt asks them to do something, they jump up, right away and do it. They know that she can't do it herself and she's counting on them. My Aunt is a very wise woman, very observant, and always looks for ways to enlist the kids' help, even little Annie! My children are understanding that eventhough people are different from them, they are still important and have feelings, just like them. These tutorials are priceless.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Your cute kids probably bring so much joy to Aunt Marilyn. She probably giggles often. I agree with you that what they are learning about people who are different from them is priceless!

Debbie and Bobby said...

Oh sweet thing!

Krissy said...

What a cute, cute family you have, Lanette! It's so fun finding long-lost friends... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...