Thursday, October 4, 2012

11.


Brigham turned 11 today.  I actually think he looked a little bit taller, too.  

I didn't do so much in the way of festivities.  No streamers or balloons or surprises.  And honestly, I felt a little bad about that.  Not that we didn't have fun.  We did.  We played at ijump, which is a "trampoline park."  It's a warehouse full of trampolines and it was super-fun for big kids (dads) and little kids.  I, however, wrestled a baby the entire time.  For some reason, I couldn't convince our one-year-old  that he'd get eaten alive out there.  Go figure.  Thankfully, my sister-in-law was there to hang out with me.  We tend to make our own fun.

I guess some years are like this--simpler.  And Brigham made me feel okay about that.  He was happy, which really is all that matters anyway.

I love this kid.  He's giving me a run for my money lately asserting his independence, and I'm trying to figure out how to LET him have his independence.  I don't think I'm doing so well, but I'm learning and making slow upward progress, which is good enough for me.

Thankfully, I see Brigham wanting to do what's right.  But friends are becoming more and more important and I hope he finds great kids to bum around with, kids who'll look out for each other and steer each other in the right direction.  What a difference good friends can make!  I say that from personal experience.  Good friends saved me from doing so many stupid things.  I cherish them for it and hope the same for my own kids.

I couldn't have asked for a better first-born kid.  He's setting the tone for the rest of the bunch and he's doing a great job.  We love him.  We ask a lot of him.  And we're proud of him.  I can't wait to see who he becomes.  It's pretty exciting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...