Friday, August 24, 2012

Moving forward.

I had my day of mourning.  Over and done.  The kids are back to school, there's no way around it.  Leaves are starting to fall from our poplars.  Maybe it's all in my head, but Summer's making her exit WAY TOO soon.  She has--selfishly--NO regard for my feelings.
I had to make some adjustments this year to make our mornings run a little smoother.  Clothes and lunches put together the night before.  Up at 6.  That seems so early, I know, my kids must be slugs, but it works for us.  Everyone is happier because there's no possible way to feel rushed with THAT much time to get ready.  And, I guess it makes them a little more willing to go to bed early, which is always a plus.  

Football is all-consuming these days.  In fact, Brigham gets off the bus at 4:20 and we're out the door for football at 4:40.  Poor guy.  Good thing he loves football and good thing Ben is helping coach (Brig and Will are on the same team), because that gives them about three hours of quality time each night, five days a week.  I love when Ben whips out the white board at home and draws grids and positions and plays and they huddle together around the table speaking another language.  

We all have to choose what we give pieces of our lives to, and I'm thinking that football might take a prominent seat in our family.  I may be wrong (I'm still holding out for soccer).  But I love the time we spend together watching the kids play, watching Ben coach, watching Lincoln and Annie entertain Sam, and I sit there enjoying it all, fresh air as my companion.  It's a family affair.

Life moves on whether we want it to or not.  I'm trying to keep up with all that's going on and at the same time keep things slow and steady.  

I'm making a deliberate effort to remove the rush.  Isn't that catchy, remove the rush?  Slowing life down makes room and time for feeling--how FULL life really is...that less is more, don't you think?  I know, easier said than done, but hey, it's worth a shot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...