Thursday, June 16, 2011

A day (not) to be remembered.


There are some days I just want to forget.
Like today. 
Until the day was nearly over, and then things got better.

I fell off the healthy-bandwagon today.  It started out semi-great, I LOVE my raisin bran in the morning (but I didn't get to exercise because of early doctor appointments for the kids).  However, come lunch and dinner, it was all about comfort food.  It's all VERY comforting until you think back at what you ate, devoid of nutritous value, and THEN you want to kick yourself.  Hard.  Repeatedly.

Brigham and William have been sick for four days.  Fevers, coughs, loss of appetite, sleeping all day, etc.  I didn't realize how much their lethargic mood affected my own.  It made all of us want to sit around and watch movies all day, which, undoubtedly leads to bickering, arguing, nit-picking and hurt feelings.  There IS such a thing as too much togetherness under less than ideal circumstances.  Another side-effect is meal prep going down the drain.  Grazing.  Easy meals don't always mean the most nutritious.  Dare I admit that I didn't eat ONE SINGLE vegetable today?  It's true, and I can feel how it affects my body.

This week, Ben and I have been like two ships passing in the night.  He leaves before we wake up and gets home at dinner, only to leave for meetings nearly every night.  I hate when we don't get to connect.  There nothing like having Dad around.  Like having my husband around.  He makes everything better.  I miss him.

By 8pm, I'd had it.  Two pieces of PB-slathered toast-later, I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to escape.  I put on my running shoes, popped in Barbie's 12 Dancing Princess' for the kiddos, grabbed my ipod and headed out the door.  It was time to commune with nature.  My best medicine. (Can I just say that I LOVE when I get to the point where exercise IS the answer instead of feeling guilt because I should and don't want to?!)

Being outside, feeling the wind, watching the sun set, breathing deeply, smelling lilacs, all of it filled me.  My music was soothing, nature was soothing.  I felt hope again instead of feeling trapped by my present circumstances.  Sometimes, stepping outside a situation is all you need to put it in perspective.  I took one giant step outside and thankfully, I felt ready to step back in about an hour later.

If I hadn't taken that time for myself I would have lovingly heaved my children into bed.  However, I was ready to be with them, unselfishly.  We had a tender scripture time.  A loving spirit was present and a spirit-filled teaching moment was preserved.  Phew.  It almost didn't happen.

So, the grossest day ever didn't end on such a gross note.  There is always hope.  I learn that lesson over and over again in so many different ways.

2 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

You take the most amazing pictures!

The Pettit Family said...

Loved this post. So true.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...