Thursday, February 24, 2011

If You're Happy and You Know it.


I'd call this excitement-for-school personified, OR . . . a race to the death.  I'm choosing to believe that they are enamored with their schooling experience.  School is happy: the smells, the friends, the bright colors, the lunch ladies, the principal (I have a little crush on him.  Not to worry, Ben is the guy for me).

For book club we just read The Happiness Project (click) by Gretchen Rubin.  You should check it out, or buy your own copy.  It was a smart, insightful, practical, witty, thought-provoking, really great read.  She's a thrity-something mother/writer who spent a year, focusing on a topic every month that, if improved upon, would maximize her happiness (like energy-boosting, marriage, friends, money, etc.).  The reader goes on her journey with her.  The interesting part is this: so much of her heavily researched data is nothing new.  We know that certain things are good, or right.  I'm sure she was a research maniac because she's a scholarly type (lawyer-turned-writer), and to give credibility to her project for publishing purposes.  She was candid and offered her ideas in a fresh way, so you had to keep reading. 

I'm inspired.  You may say to yourself, "I'm already happy!"  That's great, I am too, but one thing the author learned was that the most fulfilling form of happiness came from growth.  You can't argue that there is ALWAYS room for growth.  Her quest was to maximize the happiness already in her life, something all of us can do.  Seriously, you should read it.  For you organized, heavily-structured sort of people who love systems and measured results, you would eat out of her hand.

 I sound like the Happiness Project spokeswoman, don't I?  Do what you want, but if you're looking for an interesting read, give it a try.  I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Have a hap-hap happy day.  I know I will (dinner at Mom's tonight).

2 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

I've been looking for a good read. Thanks for the suggestion!

Brenda said...

I LOVE this picture! It gives me hope being on the receiving end of that bus. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...