Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Secret Weapon.


A lot went wrong today.  I got a call from a teacher.  I ventured upstairs to the kids' domain . . . more like a war zone . . . I'm sure if I looked hard enough I would've found an appendage or two . . . don't even ask about the bathroom.  A movie was my babysitter.  Said movie (Dinotopia) taught Lincoln some choice words . . . the exact phrase I can't remember, only it was completely demeaning if directed at another person.  Said movie also found it's way to the garbage can!

But if there was one thing that went right today, it was this: piano lessons with Great-Grandma.  I walked in a few minutes early for an impromptu recital.  My eyes felt good--and my ears, even better--to see Great-Grandma and Brigham, the same height, playing a duet.  That was a moment.  One I don't want to forget.  My grandma is almost 90!  She's a firecracker.  Feisty, determined,high expectations.  That's why I didn't teach the kids piano myself.  I'm sure they would've walked all over me.  Not Great-Grandma.  I watched her tap Brig's back with one finger and IMMEDIATELY he sat up straight!  If I did something like that he'd throw a fit and fall apart on me.  Grandma is the secret weapon.  She's starting them off right.  I count my blessings that my kids will have this precious memory to carry with them.  They've said to me on more than one occassion that the best part about taking piano from Great-Grandma is being with Great-Grandma.  That does my heart good.  I never had the "every day" moments with a grandparent because we lived too far away.  I was jealous of those who did.  This time with her is pretty special not only to them, but to me as well.  And hopefully they become adept at "tickling the ivories" a bit, too.

3 comments:

Cylee Pressley said...

I love checking in on you and seeing the family. I had to comment and tell you how pretty you look. Your hair looks gorgeous and little Annie's expression is great. Beautiful family!

Hope you are good...still think of you guys.

Honey said...

How wonderful! Love the picture!

Jilene said...

Memories come back to me reading this. :) I remember the time when I didn't want to go for piano lessons and so I hid outside grandma's house until it was time to go to school. Then my mom found out and I had to stay inside during recess as my punishment. But how grateful I am to have had such a wonderful teacher to start out. Hopefully your kids don't ever pull the hide in the bushes trick. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...