Sunday, September 19, 2010

Let's go to the movies . . .



I am not a film critic.  In fact I often disagree with film critics and LOVE cheesy, sweet, happy movies with--as critics seem to hate--happy endings.  We've recently watched two really great movies (neither cheesy).  One old, one new.  Both fantastic.  So, if you're in the mood for a redbox or netflix, try these and you won't be dissappointed.

Ben-Hur, as you know is certainly not a cheesy, sentimental movie; however, it is totally stirring and I loved every minute of it.  Maybe it's part nostalgia from my childhood, but even without those early movie-watching memories, it is still a classic in its own right.  Seriously, I love characters who are honorable, noble.  Like the Bravehearts, Gladiators, and Patriots of today.  You know what I mean?  We women want men like that in the movies, not the morally-destitute guys like Ghost of Girlfriends Past (t-r-a-s-h-y), or whatever that Matthew McConaughey movie was.  (Just between you and me, Matthew-babes is pretty cute, though.)  So, check it out sometime.  We made it a week-long event, watching it with our kids for about 1 hour each night before bed.  Great movie, great family time.  And one more thing.  Few female actors of today can hold a candle up to the female actors of yesterday.  Is it just me or are they classic ladies?  I love watching their posture, how they speak, what they wear, how they kiss so delicately.  Love it.

I came across My Name is Khan by accident and I'm glad I did.  I was at the redbox trying to find a good love story as I am a love story lover.  I really had no idea what it was about.  In fact, we almost turned it off ten minutes into it because it was completely NOT what I was expecting.  I thought to myself that it seemed like a low-budget indian film with subtitles.  Believe me, it got better and it's not all subtitled.  The movie addresses the issue of the Western world and Islam pre and post-9/11.  The idea that there are good people in the world and there are bad people.  It doesn't matter if your Islamic, Christian, whatever.  Good and bad.  The love story is powerful, tear-jerking.  I thoroughly enjoyed all 2 hours and 30 minutes of it (remember, I didn't like the first 10).  So did Ben.

If you're like me, you're always on the look-out for great movies.  I'm up for suggestions.  And let me know if you see either of these.  I'm interested to hear what you think.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...