Friday, September 24, 2010

Book Truth


(Ben loves books, too.  Political thrillers: Clancy, Thor, Baldacci.  I'm not a fan.  But I love him, anyway.)

Books.
Love them.  LOVE THEM.
Especially when they offer snipits of truth.
Mothering truth.
Actually, it's a communicating truth that happens to work as a mother.
Like the one I read today,

Elissa's mouth hung open in utter disbelief.  "How?  I am strong and healthy.  You said so yourself!  My life wasn't in danger!"

"Yes, it was, child.  And thanks to me, you are living."  Nana spoke in such a calm, matter-of-fact tone of voice that Elissa's burst of anger, having nothing to stoke it, rapidly dissipated . . .

Too true, don't you think? 
So, if you want to be a good mom, read books, right? 
Especially the ones that prevent you from doing anything you SHOULD do,
like showering, cooking dinner, cleaning,
mothering . . .oops.

Okay, so reading and good mothering don't always go hand in hand.
But dissipating anger with a calm voice . . .
That works.

1 comment:

Shelley Gee said...

Hey, read my comment on the last blog you wrote. The on my knee's one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...