Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Wax on, wax off . . ."




The day looked promising.  Promising enough for a car wash.  I loved washing the car when I was growing up.  Loud music, swim suit, getting a tan, the list goes on . . . .  I felt cool when I was washing the car.  Especially when I had on sunglasses.  Is it just me, or do you always feel a little cooler wearing a pair of sunglasses?  Ben doesn't wear sunglasses.  It's a little "too cool" for him.  I love it.  Personally, I'd rather be cool.

Anyway, my efforts to instill the same nostalgic feelings about car-washing on my children were probably in vain.  It's summertime, therefore, we should wash our car even if it's turned cold, or the sun is hiding behind the clouds, or the wind is blowing its chilly breath, or all of the above.  Nice one, supermom.

There were positives to our adventure.  The kids had fun climbing on the car which is a major taboo otherwise.  I had, um, fun breaking up the squabbles of whose rag belonged to who, or who got to spray off the front or sides of the car, as well as providing outerwear for the shivering kiddos to don over their swimsuits.  In the end, however, the van was sparkly.  I was happy.  They were happy.

If I took anything from our day in the not-so-sunny sun it was that work is fun.  Even if you squabble a bit.  Even if you're a little chilled.  We were together.  We weren't playing playstation or watching movies.  We were hanging out.  We even laughed.  We were building character (that was for you, Grandpa). 

Pretty cool.  Maybe even cooler than a pair of sunglasses. . .

3 comments:

Diana said...

nice zebra suit! way to take life to the extreme, Lanette!

Ashton & Co. said...

That was a great post. How is your bruise now? Tell Ben I think sunglasses are ultra cool! :)

Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

El Niño Y Tu Pilin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...