Monday, January 4, 2010

"Mommy"



I was thinking, which is nothing new (an obsessive habit, really).  Thinking about my kids.  Every one of them still calls me Mommy.  I love it.  So sweet, so innocent, so dependent.  However, I realized that my "Mommy" days have a shelf life.  I've noticed that nine and ten-year olds don't say "Mommy" anymore (my oldest is eight).  It's Mom.  Mom.  And that's okay.  It's still loving, personal, special...but it's not "Mommy."  It's not little and dependent.  It's one step to these wings we're supposed to be giving our kids.  I guess, tonight, I hate wings.  Call me selfish, but I don't want the days of snuggles, and all-over-your-face-kisses to end...yet.  Sure, I want my kids to grow up, lead independent, productive lives, make the world better, etc.  But, wanting those things doesn't make growing and changing any easier.  Thank goodness for my two-year old.  I still have 7-8 more years of "Mommy."  Is this a good enough reason to have another baby?  Kidding...really...kidding (for now, anyway).     

5 comments:

Janie said...

I am with you, only it didn't last as long for me. Olivia still calls me mommy but every now and then she calls me mom. The first time she did it I was horrified! It sounded way to grown up. We recently had a mommy daughter date and it was sweet, filled with hand holding and snuggling. After it was over I thought to myself "how old will she be when she will want to go out with her friends instead of mommy". :( I hope never! :)

Raechal said...

I was just thinking about this tonight too! How funny! My three year old called me Mom tonight! And it made me sad. Luckily it was a random occurrence, she usually still calls me mommy. But I feel what you're saying, these days must come to an end some time. And yes, it is a good reason to have another baby!

Honey said...

I must be the crazy one here, but I prefer mom to mommy. Especially when they can full on talk.. but that's just me...

Poulsen Family said...

It's funny; I was half way through your post and thought "she needs to have another baby so she can extend the years of being called 'mommy'". Then I get to the end of your post and see you jokingly wrote about having another baby. Not sure what's in the cards for you, but it's interesting to see people in different stages of life; me just starting the "mommy" stage (soon) and you writing about being on the close of it. It reminds me to embrace each stage to it's fullest.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...