Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Recreating a space.

For well over a year I've been toying with the idea of painting my main living area: entryway, family room, kitchen, hallway, stairway...maybe even venture into the laundry room.  I'm trying to create a restful, peaceful space with a splash of color.  I can't sacrifice color, it makes me altogether too happy.

This room-makeover from The Lettered Cottage is stuck in my brain.  I love the lightness, how the wall color (Oyster Bay, Sherwin Williams) doesn't get in the way, but adds to the overall feeling in the room.  I love the wood and natural elements, like the rug, the reclaimed wood tables, the linen arm-chairs.  The french doors make me happy.  I'm not sure if I'm red as much as I am a deep, buttercup yellow?  I think it'd be so fun to paint my patio doors.  This inspiration picture is totally doable in my house, I think I could recreate the feeling this look evokes without having to spend too much money, re-purposing what I already have.  All except the tables.  I love that coffee table.  Hmm.  I'll have to get creative.

My house is filled with natural light.  I want the space to feel light and airy, but I'm afraid of one thing.  My friend's husband paints high-end homes for a living.  They used to live in the mountains of Colorado.  She said that so many clients would NOT paint their interior spaces really light colors (whites, blues, grays) because it was cold and snowy much of the year.  It made them depressed, too bland.  

I live in Idaho.  We have a LONG winter.  Too long.  Will I feel the same way?  I want to feel warm, not cold.  But I want to stay away from beige, brown, tan, yellow paint colors.  I want that Oyster Bay!  I'm thinking that adding color to the space will warm it up.

I've ordered these jute rugs for my dining area and entryway.  They should be here any day now.  I can't wait.

I just need to make a decision about the paint...should I go for it?   

What do you think?      

3 comments:

Honey said...

Go for it! Forget the CO mountain people. :) Light and airy would be perfect for you! I don't think it would be stale, especially when you have fun, colorful accent pieces.

I'm at the same place right now. Not only deciding paint color, but love re-creating spaces. Even small spaces, like things on book shelves or little nooks/areas of rooms - especially when I already have most of the decor! :) I like to be able to mix things up.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you decide!

jenifer said...

do it!! you've thought about oyster bay as long as i've thought about having another child... and, i'm almost giving birth. :) And, so cute to paint your doors!! that would be such a quick, space changing project!

katieo said...

you already know what I'm going to say, right?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...