Monday, March 12, 2012

My little bit of good.

Desmond Tutu said, "Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."

Sure, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in '84, but it doesn't take a prestigious award to know Truth when you hear it.

It's easy to think that the world is going crazy, because it is!   And at the same time, I am constantly reminded of all that's good in the world.  There is much good. Overwhelming good.

In my little corner of the world I am surrounded by people who give and give and give.  They quietly go about doing good.  And usually it's unnoticed, unless you're the lucky recipient.  

A friend pointed out to me that maybe it's because I live in a farming community.  Hard workers.  They don't talk the talk, they walk the walk (talking wastes time).  They get to work.  They DO good.  I think she's right (Thanks, Kate).

That got me wondering, what little bit of good am I doing in the world?

Too often I think I'm not contributing much.  I see a lot of amazing people changing the world.  Sometimes I think, when will it be my turn?

Then, someone wise, like my mom or Desmond Tutu:), steps in and sets things right.

My little bit of good is not earth-shattering, it's more the every-day's-of-life kind of stuff.  Showing kindness.  Desiring to raise my children well.  Smiling or making someone laugh (because I do a lot of unintentionally funny things).  Encouraging another in her pursuits.  Never withholding a kind word.  Kissing my babies.  Being cheerful.  Keeping my home clean.  Being loyal to my hubs.  Forgiving (usually my "sweet" children when they aren't so sweet).  Keeping my word.

Boy, I could go on forever, but my point is this: by doing the seemingly small things, GREAT things are brought to pass.  Okay, that's totally a scripture (Alma 37:6).  The small things are passed along.  They're shared and as a result, spread like wildfire.  That's how they "overwhelm the world."  It's one massive domino-effect.

I want to be a part of that.  And I can be.  Everyone can, if we stop looking beyond what we can touch and focus on what's right in front of us.  The goodness in the every-days.

Sheesh, talk about the evolution of a blog post.  Where did that come from?  All I really wanted to do was post some cutie-patootie photos of Sam.  I hope you don't mind.  He was just so cute laying there, patiently, while I showered this morning.  That was HIS little bit of good for the day.  Wait, I take that back.  He IS my little bit of good.  Every.  Day.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...