Friday, July 8, 2011

Second wind.


I'm lucky to have great friends to sit with during my kids' soccer games.
Most are in the same book club (a FANTASTIC book club, I might add).
In fact, all three of my sons' coaches are either my book club friends or their husbands.
I couldn't have asked for a better arrangement.
However, OCCASSIONALLY I do a little more visiting than following the play by play of the games.
I love and need a good visit every once in a while.
It's good for the soul.

Thursday night my friend told me about a blog, joaniedaily.com.  It's about a woman, a super marathon woman, and her battle with breast cancer.  It is uplifting, inspiring, encouraging, and heartfelt.  I've been thinking a lot lately about her quote of the day,

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they have a second." --William James 

There are times in my life when I've been "in shape" enough to experience that second wind.  I remember being surprised when the rush of energy hits, almost as if I could run forever, like my breathing is just as comfortable as when I'm walking.  It feels good.  Really good.  However, getting to that point, building that stamina to keep going long enough to get there, is the challenge.

This quote can obviously apply to more than just running, moving your legs.  It's about life.  About hanging in there, believing that you're capable of so much more than you think you are, and pushing forward until the second wind comes.  Because it's there, waiting to be discovered by YOU if you dig in, and dig deep.

I felt really empowered dwelling on this idea.  It's not until we're up against something hard, some Goliath staring us in the face, that we realize what we're really made of.  I've caught that "second wind" in life before, too.  However, not without the Lord's help.  He enables my second wind.  He empowers me and fills me with enough hope to keep moving, trusting that good will come, no matter what happens.  (If my will doesn't get in the way, darn it.)  It's all about perspective.  How we view our challenges.  Certainly they're not there to break us.  That's not the point.  Sometimes it's only in hindsight that we can see and be truly grateful for the nearly impossible things we've gone through.  There's always a purpose even if we can't answer the WHY immediately.

I am so grateful to come across people who inspire.  They add a sweetness and beauty to life.

Food for thought.  Best wishes finding YOUR second wind. 

3 comments:

katieo said...

mmm. Lots of good stuff to think about here, Lanette. THanks for sharing. :)

Harley said...

Great post girl! I'm grateful for people like YOU who inspire! :)

Shelley Gee said...

It's true, there are a lot of amazing people who go through trial after trial and somehow come out on top and be happy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...