Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Progress.


I smiled today.  A closed-mouth smile, but a smile nontheless.  That's more than I could do yesterday.  The cold-sore is on the mend.  Progress, I love it.  And my day was significantly better, too.  I'm thinking it's because I could eat.  A starving mom is NOT a happy mom.

I don't think I'm alone when I admit that every so often I go through a self-makeover.  Character-Building 101.  Whatever you want to call it.  A growing, stretching period presents itself--I think by God--and I have the choice to take it or leave it.  Not one to shrink from a challenge, I go for it, usually because I have enough faith in God to know that he knows better than I what's best for me, and in my current situation, I couldn't stand the "place" I was at.  It hurt at first, really hurt [we're talking SOUL-pain, ouch] because it was changing a weakness of character, a "spiritual Achilles heel," so to speak.  It's hard to admit when you have those, especially to yourself.  I've been reading a lot, soul-searching even more, and checking in with the Lord.  I'm growing.  Slowly.  I had some walls to break down.  I read a phrase that I LOVE now, "Grow with balance."  It just sounds healthy, doesn't it?  Moving in the right direction, no matter how slow, is still progress.  I guess that's what it's all about.  The new and improved Me is on her way.  I can feel it.


Lincoln caught me in my "happy place" this afternoon, a.k.a. the kitchen window, full sun.  Meal-planning in the sun is doubly-happy for myself because 1) food [need I say more?] and 2) sun is slightly magical to me and my psyche, especially when I haven't seen it in days.


I also cleaned out the kids' toothbrush-hoarding drawer.  If you didn't know me better, you'd think I was the old lady who lived in a shoe.  17 toothbrushes!  Yeah, that's 4 1/4 toothbrushes for each kid.  New family rule: 1 toothbrush per person, no excuses.

3 comments:

Honey said...

That picture of you and Annie is darling! I'm a way grumpy mom when I'm hungry. Character Building 101 - love it.

Rebekah said...

Gorgeous picture of you!
Toothbrushes made me laugh,
Go Lanette!

Debbie and Bobby said...

The toothbrushes....HILARIOUS! We have that problem too and someitmes I can't keep straight whose is whose. but Santa brough the cool vibrating ones for Christmas this year and not only can I keep them straight, but they stand on their own and the kids like brushing their teeth. We'll see how long this lasts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...