Friday, May 28, 2010

On Marriage...

(Lincoln picked this for me yesterday, beautiful, isn't it?)

I think it's safe to say that because no one is perfect, no marriage is perfect either.  However, I believe that marriage can get progressively better and better, until it's nearly perfect.  I've known a few wise couples who seem to have it figured out.  I don't.  Well, not yet.  But I'm ever-learning.  My pride is my stumbling-block (thankfully, Ben is as humble as I am prideful).  So, naturally, I get a little huffy sometimes.  Such was the case yesterday.  Isn't it silly how we hang on to things, feelings?  If we stepped back a few feet we'd see how insignificant some "issues" really are.  Such is the human condition.  And thus begins Lanette's Life Lessons In Humility, starring Yours Truly.

I was driving down the road, working through my problem, wanting to be done with it, but my ever-prideful self was working against me.  Suddenly, I pass a building who frequently displays quotes.  I love reading their signs.  Here's what I read:

"Is your pride more important than your peace?"  S.W. Kimball

I'm pretty sure I let out a "No way!"  God speaks to me in such random and OBVIOUS ways sometimes.  Needless to say, I'm grateful he's always watching out for me.  At that moment I decided, No.  My peace in my marriage is ten times more important than my pride.  I was ready to let it go.  And I did.

I'm happy to report that all is well, all is forgotten, lesson learned, and I'm on my way to a progressively better and better marriage...nearly perfect.  Keep your fingers crossed though, I'm a work in progress.

2 comments:

Honey said...

I constantly curse my "natural" woman. Thanks for the reminder.

Kerri said...

You, my friend, as so teachable. I can't wait to see what the Lord does with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...