Saturday, March 6, 2010

Maps and Moments...



I bought an enormous world map at a thrift store a few days ago.  In my efforts to instill a love of maps and places around the world (that I have yet to visit) in my kids, I wanted our map to hang conspicuously in our home for daily referencing.  I can look at maps for hours.  Hours.

My checker at the register was a beautiful black woman from another country.  We spoke, made small talk.  She had to check on the price.  As we waited, she perused my map.  There were flags along the bottom of the map of major countries.  After paying, I asked her where she was from.  Still looking at the flags, she whispered, Haiti.  I asked if she'd made it back since she'd been in the US.  She had.  The majority of her family was still there.  I asked how they were, if they were okay after the earthquake.  She paused, still looking at my map...her sister and cousin were killed.

There are moments when "I'm so sorry," doesn't seem like enough.  This was one of those.  I didn't know what to say, but I was so sorry.  After she answered she turned away, busying herself with extra hangers, things nearby the register.  She obviously didn't want to talk about it.  The conversation just ended.  I took my map and walked away. 

What I really wanted to do was go behind that register and hug her.  I felt sad.  Our parting was so abrupt, unfinished (to me).  She never looked up.  All I could do was pray for her, knowing that eventhough I couldn't help her, God could and would. 

I still wish I'd hugged her...

7 comments:

katieo said...

OH Lanette. What sad thing. I wished you would've gone around and given her a hug! But I would've done the same thing. Stranger woman force-hugging = awkward.

I was just perusing these pictures tonight. Have you seen these? LDS photographer who served a mission in Haiti back in the day. He went down to help.
http://www.amelialyon.net/personal/haitimy-amazing-experience.html
I absolutely LOVE these pictures. They portray the vivid devastation but carry slivers of hope, too.

Also. My life is wonderful.

(p.s. I'm obsessed with maps, too. I have two ginormous ones in the boy's room. I want map wallpaper everywhere in my house. srsly.)

Rebekah said...

Maps are the best. . .
. . .maybe only second to actual contact with someone who reminds us that the world isn't really so big--we really are all a part of the same big family.
Love ya, Nette.

Honey said...

I'm sure your words and sincerity gave her heart a hug even if you didn't physically. She knows you cared about her by talking and asking about her family. Sometimes when people are grieving, it only takes someone to ask how they're doing to help them feel cared for and loved. Your heart gave her a hug.

Marilou said...

my heart hurts for her :(

Suzette said...

I love maps too.

Stephanie said...

that is soooooo sooooooo sad. :(

on another note, remember when i got you an atlas for your birthday or some other holiday? you better still have it and sleep with it by your bed.

Lanette said...

Steph, I totally remember that. It was an atlas for my birthday from the BYU bookstore. I still have that atlas. I look at it while I'm eating lunch sometimes. You are a true friend who understands my passions:).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...