Friday, October 16, 2009

Likening...


I was reading last night and found the neatest scripture. I felt energized, motivated, and, word-nerd that I am, awed by how cool the scriptures say things. I was reading about Ether, a prophet in the the Book of Mormon. He was prophesying to the people and "could not be restrained because of the Spirit of the Lord which was in him." There was a footnote to Jeremiah, a prophet in the Old Testament. Jeremiah had prophesied and was put in the stocks. He was released and said this (Jeremiah 20:7-9):

7. O Lord...thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.
8. For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; becasue the word of the Lord was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.
9. (cool part) Then I said, I will not make mention of [the Lord], nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay (I added those italics).

Loved it. Certainly, as a Christian, sometimes my faith is mocked or challenged by those who don't understand. Sometimes, when all my efforts appear to be in vain, and I want to throw up my hands and be done with it, I want to remember this scripture. When I make mistakes or do stupid things, the scriptures are there to remind me, help me get back on track. Sometimes it's hard to speak up, say what you believe, or that you think something's not right; however, it's times like these that I want "his word in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones." Actually, I always want to feel the fire of His word in my soul. That's so beautiful to me. There is real power in that and the power comes from love, a deep love of God, myself, and those around me. Anyway, enough ramblings. I learned a lesson and am better for it.

2 comments:

Diana said...

amen, thanks, I loved it

RaeLynn said...

Great post. I don't know if I've even heard that scripture in the Old Testament. HEH. I'm cool, I know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...